Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Neighborhood Schoolhouse

Today I visited The Neighborhood Schoolhouse in Brattleboro, VT. I did not fall in love, but I didn't hate it either. I have found that there are many ups and downs to all schools, and very few are going to be as wonderful as The Community School in Denton, TX.
The Neighborhood Schoolhouse up was that it had a strong emphasis on nature and wilderness studies. The grounds are beautiful and hiking is easily accessible. In the winter months the children go sledding, ice skating, skiing, and snow shoe hiking. In the other months the children, garden, track, and learn survival skills. The down side is that the classrooms seem disorganized and unstructured. The older kids seem to have the best end of the deal as their class room is project based and self directed. While the lower grades are also self directed, the classrooms seem to be mostly for play and contain blocks, puzzles, and games. The do use quisinar rods (I am not sure of the spelling), and Lindamood Bell method for reading. However, everything else did not have a clear way of learning. Worksheets were used, although limited, and it seemed mostly to be a free for all.
So, my head is spinning. I love Montessori, the structure, the individuality, and all the learning that can be obtained from play. On the other hand, I love the outdoor focus and connectedness of people, plants, and animals The Neighborhood Schoolhouse tries to share. Really what I want is the two philosophies to combine. Why is it that outside of Denton Montessori seems to be a place for the rich who have no idea what Montessori really is making the school pretentious and business like? I want a school where the director is a teacher (none of the schools have this), in what feels like a home, where kids learn independence as well as social skills, structure, and have extensive outdoor time. Where is this school? I guess I will let Seth choose where he feels most comfortable providing the school accepts him. That is the only thing I have left to do. I now see why my mother opened her own school--sometimes it feels like the only way. But there it is again-- there are endless ways and endless people to dream them up. Finding the way that represents your own educational values is the hard part.

No comments: