Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Schooling

I have spent the last week here searching for the perfect school for Seth. So far there are 3 great schools worth mentioning in the area. The Hartsbrook School in Hadley, MA, a Waldorf school; Hilltop Montessori School in Brattleboro, VT; and The Neighborhood Schoolhouse also in Brattleboro, VT. Besides being 45 minutes away from my own school, The Hartsbrook School is quite amazing. With acres and acres of land set in the beautiful green mountains of Massachusetts, they have a sustainable farm livestock, and three awesome buildings going through high school. Waldorf education is also an outstanding feature with their emphasis on nature and art. However, as good as imaginative play sounds for the young students, the lack of structure and tools for learning incorporated into play is something I find deficient. I also found that, even though I have a love for the Waldorf method, I am more comfortable with the Montessori way of learning.

So, I visited Hilltop Montessori School in Brattleboro. The school is also in the mountains and has an incredible view. The classrooms are nice, the teachers seem good, and the works were amazing. Yet, I felt the absence of nature that was so evident at the Waldorf School. Outside time was too scheduled, and they were completely void of a wilderness program. The Montessori School did have a greenhouse that was built by the middle school students that was pretty cool, but both the Waldorf, and the Neighborhood Schoolhouse had ample garden space that outweighed that of the Montessori school.

Although I have not yet spoken with the teachers at The Neighborhood Schoolhouse, I have visited the school, looked around, and read their philosophy. The school is based on independent, interest-based learning that allows the child to learn by doing. It is extremely outdoor based with a huge garden and a school next to a trail head for hiking. Outdoor pursuits include hiking, camping, and skiing. The classroom itself felt homey and warm, compared to the other two, offering a separate room for reading. Forts outside, obviously built by kids, and self directed learning remind me all too much of my own educational experiences and has won my vote thus far. I will not be able to visit the classroom until next Wednesday, but I am sure that if they have room Seth will be going there next fall.



**And as a side note, Kacy is applying to work in the younger aged classroom as well :)

No comments: